Sunday, March 23, 2014

growing up,i wanted to be an Aeronautical engineer Best Actor in a Drama, Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards, Tope Tedela told punch!

 
Part of our today's post,once again we are here with another up close and personal with the Best Actor in a Drama, Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards, Tope Tedela,believing that his story would do you a lot of good as he  talks about his career as an actor and how things were before he became the talks of the city today- as such,we-the awesomejasper blogspot crew wish to  leave you with this piece, and wish you blissful days ahead
...
How was it like growing up?
I am the first of four children; I am from Ekiti State but I grew up in Surulere, Lagos. I was always indoors. I attended Lagos State Model College, Meiran, Lagos and the University of Lagos where I studied Mass Communication. I always got into mischief while growing up.  At some point, they almost took me to a correctional centre for boys. I did a lot of crazy stuff.  But it was also interesting; I remember my folks took us to parties and amusement parks.
When I was moving to senior secondary school, a lot of my friends went to the sciences. It was very cool seeing my friends attend science classes and I just joined them even when I had no interest in sciences. I was an artistic person but it just felt good seeing them in laboratories. I tried to comprehend the things I was taught but at the end of the second term, I was booted out, into the art classes where I truly belonged.
What is the reason for your vibrant nature?
I am not really vibrant.  I am just in the movies. It’s like becoming someone else. That is the beauty of acting.  You do not have to be an outspoken person to play an outspoken character.
Did you ever think you would be an actor?
An episode comes to mind. I was in JSS3 and we were all choosing what we wanted to be. I was confused about what I wanted to be. I said I wanted to be an aeronautical engineer. I said it then because it sounded very nice. As I was growing up, I discovered acting was something I would love to do.
Have you always had the support of your family and friends?
To a large extent, I have. But when I was in school, they were a bit skeptical.  My folks were very particular about me getting a degree.  When I started acting, it wasn’t rosy, it was difficult. People told me to get another job because I left the job I was doing then. Sometimes, things were pretty hard and they wondered what I was doing. But I just kept my head up.
Did you expect to win the award?
I just did the best I could do under the circumstances and kept my mind open to the outcome.  I wouldn’t say I didn’t see how good winning would be but I didn’t get my hopes up. I felt elated and glad. I felt my heart beat faster and I tried to calm myself down because it was real.
Tell us about ‘A Mile from Home’
It was a passion project for all of us. The script was different, good, interesting and challenging. It was fun. It was something good to work on and we all wanted to be part of it. We wanted to speak to people as much as we could, explore issues, show our challenges, struggles and hopes as human beings.
Why weren’t you paid for the film?
That isn’t exactly correct. It makes the producer, Eric, look bad. He wanted to make a film but did not have adequate funding. And he just had to do it because it was something that would speak to a lot of people.  Since I auditioned for the film, I had to star in it. Under those circumstances, he did not give remunerations, but he assured me that when the film was released, everyone would be happy.  I trusted him since he had come that far and he wanted to make it work. It was like we were all partners and we all came together. But yes, I wasn’t paid upfront; I didn’t collect a dime. I forfeited my salary for the film; I gave it up for production hoping that when it comes out, I would be.
How has the journey been so far?
It has been topsy-turvy. Being an actor isn’t easy but it has been interesting. I am glad about the awards because it has opened doors.
How do you intend to handle fame?
The word that comes to my mind is responsibility-being responsible to you, your family, friends and supporters. Be yourself. You just live your life like you want to live it, and understand that people look up to you, not like you are living your life for them. Just keep your feet on the ground.
Have you had any distractions in life?
Yes, I have but I kept my head up. Sometime I falter and miss my path but I don’t remain on the ground.
What challenges did you face when you left your job for acting?
I didn’t stay too long on the job. It wasn’t up to a year and my whole body was itching to go into acting. I worked with a client services firm and moved from there to being an editor of a children’s newspaper. Those were the two major things I tried to do. It wasn’t working out in the first few months after I left. Those were like months of drought, and people kept wondering what I was doing. I just kept on.  Those periods of inactivity could be very challenging. But it’s been a good ride.
Is acting full time for you?
It is acting full time, but I have interests in other businesses. I offer services like proofreading and editing people’s work. I am a musician of some sort- I am part of a band also. It would be known in due course.
Are you in a relationship?
Everyone is in a relationship. I have a lot of friends that I am interested in. But first, I need to be sure if I want to date someone.  It is not an issue to me. the most important thing to me is to stay focused  and try to forge ahead.
Who is your worst critic?
My worst critic is myself. There are some kinds of things you realise you should have done in one way or the other. I always want to be sure I am doing things the right way, especially when it comes to acting.
Tell us something people do not know about you
It may seem crazy but I wish everybody could write in proper English and avoid all the short forms in chats. But it’s a free world. I am cool-headed and smart; I am quite considerate and I work hard. I take my business seriously.
What is your definition of style?
I like to put on a tee shirt, jeans and sneakers. Style to me is all about comfort. Recently, I have been learning to experiment. I like to be comfortable, simple and easy.
 BY PETER OKEUGO

No comments:

OO