Sunday, December 21, 2014

Nigeria: About 120 participant Attend Basketball Camp In Abuja



Participants in the United States Embassy’s 50-50 Facilitated Basketball Camp in Abuja, on Saturday commended the organisers for their commitment to sports development in the country
They said that the early exposure of 120 children in Abuja to the rudiments of basketball would not only attract them to the game but challenge them early enough on various careers in sports
.

Sunday Asisah, the Assistant Coach of the Federal Capital Territory Basketball Association told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the camp provided many children the opportunity to understand the rudiments of basketball.
“The camp was successful and I thank God that it came out as expected, some kids could not do the basic basketball drills but now you can attest to what you see in the court.

“The basketball competition amongst the boys and girls shows that they have learnt a great deal in the few days that we have them together.
“US Embassy has made our dreams come true. I appreciate them for making this come true. I have been longing to host such an event so I thank them for making it happen”, he said.
He hoped to host another basketball camp in future stressing that some Liberian sponsors have shown interest in partnering with him to host subsequent basketball camps.
Maureen Okoli, a participant, said the camp had exposed her to basketball fundamentals.
“We were taught the fundamentals of basketball and it was a great experience for me because I started playing basketball seven months back I never had no experience.
“Am saying a big thank you to the US Embassy for organising this kind of camp for us, I benefited from the life skills they taught us’’, Okoli said.
Michael Victor described the basketball camp as a wonderful experience.
“I learnt bouncing, passing and shooting, I learnt how to use my weak hand that is my left hand more, when am given a drill to do, I do it with my left hand than my right now.

“The coach taught us the four aims of basketball - the model, method, motivation and monitoring. I have to put them to practice.
“I want to thank God because I wanted to give up but now I am more confident and I thank the organisers for giving us the opportunity”, he said.
NAN reports that the basketball camp was a partnership that Nigeria entered into with the Embassy since 2012 to improve basketball in schools.
The camp, which took place from Dec. 17 to Dec. 20, had children from 10-12 years, 13- 15 and 16-18 years in attendance. It focused on the importance of staying in school while playing basketball. (NAN)

No comments:

OO