Leland Shoemake (main) died in Atlanta on Friday from an infection caused by the amoeba Balamuthia mandrillaris after being hospitalized in a critical condition two weeks ago. Doctors do not know how he came to contract the infection. Leland's mother, Amber Shoemake, posted to a Facebook page set up for her son that her and her husband returned home from the hospital after he died to find a 'goodbye note' in the living room (inset). They do not know when their son wrote the note, but described him as incredibly smart, funny and loving.
..may his innocent soul rest in peace