Thursday, October 1, 2015

Afghan forces 'regain city',forced the Taliban out-Kunduz police chief spokesman

Afghan security services and National Army (ANA) at the Baghlan-Kunduz border (30 Sept 2015)
Afghan officials say they have regained control of key areas of the northern city of Kunduz from the Taliban.
Report says,the operation launched overnight saw forces recapture government landmarks and inflict heavy casualties on the militants, officials said.
There has been no word from the Taliban, but fighting is reported to be ongoing
The city's capture was a huge blow to President Ashraf Ghani, coming on the first anniversary of his taking power.
Afghan special forces preparing to launch a counter-offensive to regain control of Kunduz (30 Sept 2015)Kunduz police chief spokesman Sayed Sarwar Hussaini told BBC Afghan on Thursday that the military had retaken the governor's office, the police chief's office and the intelligence agency building, adding: "Taliban bodies are lying around."

Pictures on social media purported to show government forces inside the city, which Afghan interior ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi tweeted was being cleared of insurgents.
Picture of a roundabout in which the Taliban flag had previously been flown

If confirmed this represents a crucial victory for the Afghan army, its biggest test since the withdrawal of coalition forces back in December last year.

No comments: